Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Great Blue Heron

     There is a tiny pond not far from where we live.  When I drove by,  I was very excited to catch a glimpse of a blue heron.  I rushed home to grab my camera.  All of my previous attempts to capture them on film have gone awry.  See Exhibit A.
Exhibit A
     But this heron stayed absolutely still.  He never moved.  I have a million pictures of him just - like -this. 
   He stood like a great gray sentinel while the mallards splashed around him.  There was even a woodchuck swimming near him.
      How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?  I hadn't realized that woodchucks were such good swimmers.  This little fellow was enjoying the sunshine and the water.
      The pond is right below a huge parking lot.  The water is surprisingly clean.  I took an environmental class a few years ago and tested the water here for oils.  The water was clear and the ph,  neutral.  The wildlife sure do seem to appreciate it.  We have seen turtles and frogs on the banks, but none were visible this day.
      Mrs. Mallard standing on the ice.  Look at those orange feet.
      Mr. and Mrs. Mallard off for a swim.
      Bottoms up!
     He is so beautiful.  I hope that he stays for awhile so we can get used to each other.

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover