Sunday, July 28, 2013

Red Light, Green Light 1, 2, 3

     One of the games we played when I was a child was Red Light, Green Light.  On many summer evenings, a group of neighborhood kids would line up on the lawn.   The child who was “It” stood about forty feet away, with their back turned to the crowd.  “It” would shout, “Green light!”
     We would all thunder toward him, until a split second later, “It” would yell, “Red light!” and turn swiftly around.  We all had to become as still as statues. If momentum carried us forward, if we teetered or tottered, or just tipped over - we had to go back to the starting point.
   Oh boy, I was slow to begin with and I hated to have to start over.  All of us loved the freedom of “Green Light,” but none of us wanted to hear “Red Light."
    Many of us don’t want to take the time to stop.  We're too busy.  There is too much to do.   We have no time.  But when it comes to learning about God’s word, to serving Him and worshiping Him, we can’t afford to continue in motion.
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,
   I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?
   When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?
 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’  ~Matthew 25:34-40
     We were made for service and worship.  So let’s stop.  Not because it is convenient, or because we feel like it, or because it doesn’t conflict with something else.  Red light.  Let’s be still.  Let’s bless the Lord.

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover