Saturday, February 9, 2013

A Fixed and Steadfast Heart

     What is your heart fixed on?
This photo was taken when we were camping over Columbus Day Weekend.
 A good man sheweth favour, and lendeth: he will guide his affairs with discretion. Surely he shall not be moved forever: the righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance. He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the LORD. His heart is established,  ~ Psalm 112:5-8a
     When I was trying to determine where God was leading me in my choice of my word for the year I felt impressed by this verse in Psalms.  I wanted my heart to be fixed on God.  I didn’t want my word for the year to be “fixed” though, for purely selfish reasons. For the past few years I have gotten a charm for a necklace with my word on it.   Would I really want to wear a necklace that read “Fixed?”  I eventually choose “Believe” which incorporates the idea of fixed into it.
 He shall not be afraid of evil tidings; his heart is firmly fixed, trusting in the Lord.
His heart is established and steady (Amplified Bible)  Psalm112:7-8a
The word translated as fixed is the Hebrew word “Kuwn.”   Kuwn has two meanings:  
1. To be firm and fastened, stable and established.
2. To be securely determined and directed aright.  
       A believer’s heart is to be firm and fastened, stable and established.  Psalm 1 provides us with a picture of a believer whose heart is fixed on God.

Blessed is the man
Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
Nor stands in the path of sinners,
Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
And in His law he mediates day and night.
He shall be like a tree
Planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in its season,
Whose leaf shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper.
     A believer’s heart is to be securely determined and directed aright, rooted and grounded.  A tree has roots that reach down deep to tap into life giving water, just as the branches stretch upward into the sky toward the sun.  Let our hearts be fixed, trusting in Him, like a tree planted by the rivers of water.  Let our hearts bring forth fruit and let our leaf not wither.  Let our hearts be fixed and fastened, stable and established, rooted and grounded, and securely determined and directed aright, reaching up and trusting in our Lord and Savior.

     Is your heart fixed today?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A wonderful reminder for people. What a great question to ask yourself daily! Thank you for posting!

Many Blessings,
Moriah Jordan Miller

a joyful noise said...

Fixed is a good word, but believe probably goes better on a necklace. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and scriptures on "Fixed" at "Tell Me a Story."

caryjo said...

I count on that! I truly want to be planted by His rivers ... and my roots growing and reaching and planting more and more seeds. Maybe the seeds from my heart and ministry falling into the river and flowing down and down towards others to plant in them from my spiritual heart so they will also grow stronger next to the Lord. [That might not make sense, but I can see it in my heart and desire -- maybe reaching to my grandkids and others who, as young 'uns, need to have deeper roots and the "g-ma" seeds can encourage and help.]

Judith said...

Fixed/Believe are wonderful words. The tree in the picture clearly is right for this word. Thanks for sharing over at WholeHearted Home this week. I have been enjoying your blog. Have a wonderful week!!

Pin It button on image hover