Monday, October 1, 2012

Day 2: Squish


Day 2:
        One year and one day after my previous mammogram, I hurried to the health center directly from school.  I wanted to get my mammogram over with as quickly as possible because I had important family things to do later that evening.  Those things were so important that I have completely forgotten them.  The most important thing I had to do that day was my mammogram.  I just didn't know it yet.
     As I made my way to the mammography check in, I reflected on the delightful cape I would be wearing in the next few minutes.  The cape provided to women for the exam looked rather like a large unattractive cloth napkin.  It was little better than a square doily through which your head stuck out on top.  Arms had to be held straight down if you wanted to maintain any sense of modesty in the women's waiting area.
     I checked in and there was Cynthia, a colleague from another school in the district and a parent of two adorable boys in my school, already decked out in her napkin.  It is uncomfortable enough to be sitting with strangers wearing a doily, but far worse to see someone you actually know.  Cynthia was clearly as uncomfortable with the chance meeting as I was.  I greeted her and then went to change into my own napkin.   When I came out of the dressing closet, I was relieved to see that Cynthia had already been called in.
     A very sweet older woman did my exam.  I told her how my last mammogram had left me bruised.  She sympathized and told me to let her know if I was uncomfortable.  She explained the importance of getting the best possible pictures.  She herself was a breast cancer survivor.  She shared that her cancer had been found by a mammogram.  She adjusted the machines and me efficiently.  She cautioned me that women often get called back for additional pictures, but that usually it was not anything to worry about.  When she had finished, I thanked her for her consideration and for not causing me unnecessary discomfort.  I gratefully shed the napkin, put on my clothes, and dashed off to my family.
    A few days later, I was called back for more pictures.

"Be strong and courageous.
 Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, 
for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”  Joshua 1:9

     Have you ever felt awkward seeing someone you know in a different environment or situation?

     If you are visiting me through the 31 Day series, please drop me a note and say hello.  I am looking forward to meeting you.

6 comments:

Jody Lee Collins said...

Donna, this is an intriguing story.......I want to hear the rest of it.
And it made me smile.

I had a call back on my mammogram last month and it was for 'extra tissue summation' or something like that. A mass of tissue build up.
(Did I just say that on the internet?)
Anyway...thank you for the brave and honest post.

Alene said...

I don't like it when they call you back!! I'm sure you don't either.

http://positivelyalene.com

Amy said...

Last year I also got the call for additional pictures. I'm sure they said something like Jody said... but I heard, "You are reversing the aging process and actually getting FIRMER!"

I'm interested in following your story, Donna. Thanks for dropping by my 31 Days.

mari mayborn said...

I was one of those girls who got the call back and then got the call no one wants to receive. They caught my cancer early through a mammogram screening. I had wonderful care—both in the cancer center and IRL. God showed up around every corner and I had a lot of wonderful cheerleaders all the way. I am grateful for the journey.

Marie at the Lazy W said...

(visiting because of the 31 day link up, but I feel like I'll be sticking around...)
The weight of the woman's assurance that people often get called back in for more pictures...
and then the fact that you were called back in for more pictures... Wow.
I cannot say that I've ever felt that exposure, of meeting someone I know in an awkward spot, but I felt it through your writing!

momstheword said...

I love the cartoon, lol! I am a pastor's wife and yes, one time I met someone I knew while there getting a mammo. It was a gal from our church. We were both laughing about our lovely "matching" outfits, lol! So glad you popped over from the party and let me know that you are participating too!

Pin It button on image hover