Friday, May 25, 2012

31 Things


"…with an eye made quiet by the power of harmony, and the deep power of joy, we see into the life of things."
- William Wordsworth/Tintern Abbey


     31 Things is a class from Big Picture Classes taught by Ali Edwards.  31 Things is an invitation to "see into the life of things."  Over the course of 31 days in May and June an email prompts our group to document one story from our everyday life.  Each prompt includes a word or theme for the day, ideas for telling a story based on the word, and a suggestion for a photo to support the writing.  It is an adventure in telling the stories of our daily lives in more detail, with a little more heart and a little more perspective.  It's about telling more.  Participants are enjoying this class so much that a follow-up class of 31 More Things is being considered for the Fall.
     I signed up for the class because I have enjoyed the One Little Word class that is also taught by Ali Edwards.  Although I was a little nervous about writing everyday for 31 days straight, I  liked the idea of the discipline of writing something everyday.  I am enjoying being given a prompt or direction for the days writing.  For me deciding what to write always takes me forever as long or even longer than actually writing does.  I'm the same way about making a decision for dinner.  I have discovered that I love writing everyday.  I find myself looking for something else to write about when I am finished with the prompt.  My ninth grade English teacher, Miss Wynne, would be proud.  


Life itself is the most wonderful fairytale of all. 
~Hans Christian Andersen

2 comments:

Foursons said...

Oh, sounds fun!

kelly said...

i hope you'll share some of your stories here on your blog! i opted not to take this class because i wanted to spend the time really plugged into my life while kelsey is home. it sounds like a great class though so keep us posted. :)

Pin It button on image hover