Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Yoke's on Me

My Mom

     Last year I began making an ABC Bible Scrapbook.  I found the challenge at Triple the Scraps by Patter Cross.  Every two weeks a word and scriptures were given with the goal of creating a scrapbook with a page for each letter.  My mom saw the book I started, but hadn't quite finished, and asked me to make her one.  Mom went through my list of words, kept the ones she liked and gave me a list of words she wanted.  I hope to get both books finished for Mom’s birthday in June.
     The first word in our books is Anchor.  The scripture a favorite from Hebrews,  “We who have fled to take hold of the hope set before us may be greatly encouraged.  We have this hope, an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.”
     Subsequent words were:

  •  Bible -  "For the Word of God is alive and active."  Hebrews 4:12
  • Confidence - "For you have been my hope, Sovereign Lord, my confidence since my youth.” Psalm 71:5
  • Delight -  “The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves, He will take great delight in you.” Zephaniah 3:16-18
     I enjoy meditating on the word prompt and the accompanying scriptures.   I work out how I will represent the word in our books.
     When I started, I was following Triple the Scrap's idea for words, so when the letter “E” came, I wondered what word would be chosen.  I guessed Easter, or perhaps Eternal.  Instead E’s word was “Easy.”   That made me pause.  The Bible is a lot of things, but Easy isn’t the first one that comes to mind.
     Then I looked at the words of Jesus:    
     “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.   Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”  Matthew 11:28-30
     And so I prayed, "Lord help me to understand this mystery.  Show me."  God gently reminded me:
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
     Well you all know that I am a fan of hope.  Jesus has a plan for me.  Jesus doesn’t manage me, to-do list me, or memo me with bulletin points.  He loves me.  His yoke is easy because it brings rest.  Not rest from the yoke, but rest under the yoke because it is a yoke built for two.  Jesus shares our yoke.  He doesn’t tell me to do all by myself.  He invites me into what He has done.  I am never alone.  That’s why there is freedom in a trial, hope in the dark, trust in fear, and love always.  Jesus keeps me safe in His love.  It is easy.
     "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him; so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:18
     The path He asks us to follow is level, smooth,  and dare I add - easy. 
     “The path of the righteous is level; you, the Upright One, make the way of the righteous smooth.” Isaiah 26:7

11 comments:

Laurie Collett said...

What a wonderful post! Your Mom will be blessed to have these, and we are blessed to see the work in progress!
Thanks so much for visiting & commenting on Saved by Grace!
Love in Him,
Laurie Collett
http://savedbygracebiblestudy.blogspot.com/

Dimple said...

Hi Donna,
First, thanks for your visit! I am especially thankful because it enabled me to visit you.
Second, I think you have a wonderful blog: gentle thoughts, lovely photos. Faith and love shine here.
Blessings to you!
Dimple

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful project. Thanks for sharing and I know your lovely Mom is going to be so happy with hers.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I have never seen a project like this and I am so inspired by it! It is a wonderful idea and I want to see if I can find time to focus on something like this too. I have also enjoyed reading your thoughts for the letters you mentioned. A very special post and I thank you for sharing on Think on These Things!

Kindly, Lorraine
ps... Thank you also for putting my button on your sidebar :)

marie said...

This is such a wonderful book...what a lovely idea! A family heirloom in the making. An ABC Bible scrapbook would be perfect for my grandbabies. Thanks for sharing this!

Amanda Conquers said...

I like the letter "E" page! EASY... and we try to make it so hard, don't we!?! Good reminder. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I love this. It reminds me of the alphabet books for sports, but this has so much more meaning behind it. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

Richella Parham said...

What a precious project, and what a beautiful post you've written about it! His yoke is easy and His burden is light. I love this!

Thank you so much for joining Grace at Home. I really appreciate it. Bless you!

Create With Joy said...

Congratulations Donna - I love your scrapbook and have featured it on this week's Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy!

I can't wait to see what you'll be sharing with us this week! :-)

Create With Joy
http://create-with-joy.com

Wendy @ E-1-A said...

Great idea... congratulations on being featured on IMM this week - well deserved!

Wendy @ ECTaS

Wendy @ E-1-A said...

P.S. I have added this post to my list of favourites on my blog w/c 21st May 2012. You can check out the link here:

http://each-card-tells-a-story.blogspot.co.uk/p/favourite-blogger-posts.html

I would be thrilled if you would consider linking up with Scripture Sunday this week :D It would be such a blessing to have you join me.

Pin It button on image hover